Carotid strands are a novel ultrasound finding of unknown prevalence.
Three cases of carotid strands are reported in subjects with or at risk for carotid atheroma.
In one subject, new material deposited in the bulb that disappeared with statin use.
Strands appear to be associated with atherosclerosis and possibly atherogenesis.
- Intimal plus medial thickness of the arterial wall: a direct measurement with ultrasound imaging.Circulation. 1986; 74: 1399-1406
- Ultrasonographically assessed carotid morphology and the risk of coronary artery disease.Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 1991; 11: 1245-1249
- Carotid-artery intima and media thickness as a risk factor for myocardial infarction and stroke in older adults. Cardiovascular Health Study Collaborative Research Group.N Engl J Med. 1999; 340: 14-22
- Lipid-rich carotid artery plaques appear echolucent on ultrasound B-mode images and may be associated with intraplaque haemorrhage.Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg. 1997; 14: 439-445
- “Ultrasonic biopsy”—a non-invasive screening technique to evaluate the cardiovascular risk and to follow up the progression and the regression of arteriosclerosis.VASA. 1991; 20: 40-50
- Increasing peripheral artery intima thickness from childhood to seniority.Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2007; 27: 671-676
- High-resolution ultrasound showing increased intima and media thickness of the radial artery in patients with end-stage renal disease.Atherosclerosis. 2010; 211: 159-163
- Scanning electron microscopy examination of endothelium morphology in human carotid plaques.Micron. 2010; 41: 532-536
- Noninvasive in vivo assessment of the re-endothelialization process using ultrasound biomicroscopy in the rat carotid artery balloon injury model.J Ultrasound Med. 2019; 38: 1723-1731
- Hemodynamics and the focal origin of atherosclerosis.Ann NY Acad Sci. 2001; 947: 7-16
- Changes in the textural characteristics of intima-media complex in young patients with familial hypercholesterolemia: implication for visual inspection on B-mode ultrasound.J Am Soc Echocardiogr. 2011; 24: 438-443
- Quantification of the wall inhomogeneity in B-mode sonographic images of the carotid artery.J Ultrasound Med. 2002; 21: 1395-1404
- Intimal and medial arterial changes defined by ultra-high-frequency ultrasound: response to changing risk factors in children with chronic kidney disease.PLoS ONE. 2018; 13: e0198547
- Comparative histopathology of radial artery versus internal thoracic artery and risk factors for development of intimal hyperplasia and atherosclerosis.Circulation. 1999; 100: 139-144
- Early human atherosclerosis accumulation of lipid and proteoglycans in intimal thickenings followed by macrophage infiltration.Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2007; 27: 1159-1165
Conflicts of interest: The authors reported no actual or potential conflicts of interest relative to this document.
User LicenseCreative Commons Attribution – NonCommercial – NoDerivs (CC BY-NC-ND 4.0) |
For non-commercial purposes:
- Read, print & download
- Redistribute or republish the final article
- Text & data mine
- Translate the article (private use only, not for distribution)
- Reuse portions or extracts from the article in other works
- Sell or re-use for commercial purposes
- Distribute translations or adaptations of the article
Elsevier's open access license policy